New To R/C - Read Our Intro's to Model Flying

Getting To Know About Accessories
There are a number of items or accessories that will be required to finish your aircraft that may not come with the kit. The level of accessories depends on the kit you buy and the price you pay. ARTF usual come with most accessories supplied. However, some modellers prefer one brand or type of accessory from another and choose to replace some stock kit items with their own choice. Here are some of the most common items.

Engine MountSelection of Engine Mounts
Some aircraft use wooden bearers to which the engine is mounted while others use a moulded nylon or aluminium mount. The wooden bearer would usually be built into the airframe of a kit, while the moulded type is usually bolted to the ply front plate commonly known as the 'Firewall'. It is possible to get mounts specially for a particular engine although many generic mounts are available to fit most engines. See 'Getting To Know R/C Engines' for more detailed information on engine mounts. Square Fuel Tanks

Fuel Tank, Fuel Tubing & Fuel Filters
Most kits will not have a fuel tank and related fuel tubing included. These are available in many different sizes and should be chosen according to the size of the aircraft its engine. Fuel tubing is usually made from silicon and can be bought by the metre length. A fuel filter should be fitted in the fuel lines from your fuel container to the tank and between the tank and the carburettor.

Engine Accessories
When buying an engine for your aircraft, there will be a few items that you will need that don't come with the engine or the aircraft. These include the propeller. And sometimes manufacturers don't supply the glow plug.
I don't know why this is. It's like buying a tumble dryer without the electrical plug. They don't work without one! A silencer should be included with your engine. If not, don't buy it! Every aeromodeller should ensure that their aircraft is well silenced and below the BMFA guidelines of 82db at 7 metres.

Three SpinnersSpinner
The spinner is the cone shaped object mounted to the engine prop shaft on the nose of the aircraft. The spinner can be made from plastic or aluminium and functions primarily to improve looks and aerodynamics but also rounds out the sharp point of the engine's prop shaft and nut.

The covering of an aircraft is the skin which is stretched over the airframe. On R/C aircraft it is usually a fabric or plastic film which is applied with an warm iron. These covering will shrink when heat is applied thus giving a taut durable finish. Plastic covering gives a shiny finish and requires no further treatment. Fabric covering usually requires a coat of paint to finish it and make it resistant to fuel and exhaust of the engine. This is called fuel proofing. (You also have to ensure that the paint you use is not affected by fuel or exhaust gasses). Covering materials come on a roll and in many different colours and may be cut into rough shape before being ironed onto the airframe.

The pushrods are part of the control linkage which connects the servo part of the radio system to the control surfaces of the aircraft. Pushrods are usually stiff pieces of balsa with threaded wire and clevises fastened to each end.

Snakes, Bowden Cables
A flexible cable that takes the form of a wire or one plastic tube running inside another with the ability to turn around corners. These are generally made with a metal cable running inside a plastic tube and are popular in controlling the engine throttle.

Control Horn
The control horn is small bracket mounted on a control surface to convert the movement of the pushrod into the movement of the control surface.

The clevis is a small fastener at the end of a pushrod, usually made from nylon or metal, which connects the pushrod to the control horn. Clevises may also be referred to as links or quick links.

The hinges are used to connect the moveable control surfaces of the aircraft to the fixed surfaces and allow smooth easy movement. They may take several forms including hinge points, pinned hinges, or strips of thin Mylar plastic.

Foam Rubber
Foam rubber is used to wrap the radio receiver and receiver battery pack in the plane so that they will be isolated from the vibration of the running engine.

Wheel Collets
Wheel Collets are small metal collars fastened with a grub screw to the axle of an aircraft on either side of the wheel. These stop the wheel from coming off the axle or rubbing against the undercarriage.

The wheels for an aircraft come in several styles including treaded, non-treaded, scale tread, air-filled, and super lightweight. Most wheels are available in sizes from 1.75" to 6" in 1/4" steps.